Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Post 6: Q&A Time

Okay, so now I have to answer some questions given by teacher truthfully.

Q: What did you intend to accomplish with your 20time project?

A: I wanted to create a picture book depicting the changes that the American Education System needs in order to improve its effectiveness on outputting knowledgeable people.

Q: What did you actually accomplish with your 20time project?

A: Well... I didn't get to finish it. I made progress from making the idea into something tangible, but I didn't get very far.

Q: Describe the impact of your project on yourself and others. How could you use what you learned to create a positive change in someone else or the community?

A: Since I never really got to finishing my project by the time of the presentation, it hasn't really gone far. I know it's let me realize my capabilities and my limits. What I really think could help people is the knowledge that when someone dedicates himself to a project, he can feel an immense pull towards the thought of completing a portion of it and will spend long stretches of time working on the part. I find that feeling to be the greatest part because I found myself losing track of time as I worked.

Q: What roadblocks did you run into? What were the areas of the project that were more difficult than you expected them to be?

A: I found drawing my story to be the most difficult, not the coming up with the story line or writing it down. I had to think creatively in how I wanted to represent my words so that the picture could explain itself. It needed impact and emotion, but I only have one brain so I didn't really know how that worked out.

Q: What new learning, if any, did you gain because of the roadblock? Did the roadblock give you new insight, change the course of the project, etc.? How?

A: I realized that I still have the ability to not back down from a challenge. Apparently I'm not that lazy. Ha.

Q: Finish this sentence: The thing about this kind of learning that works best for me is ...

A: The amount of freedom I get to do what I want at my own pace.

Q: Finish this sentence: The thing about this kind of learning that is a challenge for me is...

A: The want of proving myself to somebody when I don't need to.

Q: Would you consider your project a success? A failure? Somewhere in between? Explain your answer.

A: Eh... I think I fall in the in between category. I never really expected myself to go very far into the project for the amount of time we were given, but I am still disappointed that I couldn't get a little more done.

Q: Estimate how much time you spent on your 20-Time project per week:

A: Oh, well, just about an hour or so per week until near the last few weeks. Then it became more of like 4 hours.

Q: How does what you did in 20-Time connect with the IB Learner Profile? Discuss any and all qualities that apply.

A: You can read my 5th post for that.

Q: How does what you did in 20-Time show relevant learning in your English class?

A: What I did during the 20-Time presentation was definitely a communications thing. I did a lot more oral communication than I thought I would be doing.

Q: What advice would you have for teachers who are doing 20-Time projects in the future? What would you tell them that would make the project go more smoothly or more successfully?

A: I'd tell them that they should either start the project in the beginning of the school year or in the beginning of a semester. I felt that I needed more time on mine.

Q: What advice would you have for students who are doing a 20-time project in the future? What would you tell them that would make the project go more smoothly or more successfully?

A: Go at your own pace, but don't do nothing during the time given. Work on something related to your 20-Time, so by the time you have to present it, all of the little things will have added up to a larger thing.

Q: Will you continue with your independent learning/creating beyond this class? Why or why not?

A: Yeah, because I still gotta complete it for my Golden Awards for Girl Scouts. I'm not sure if I'm still doing CAS anymore. So much for the "3 birds with one stone" metaphor.

Q: Anything else you would like me to know?

A: Actually, yes! Carolyn Chang, Alex Arons, and I are starting a new club next year called Patchwork Club. It's sort of like 20Time except for the fact that you don't have to actually present anything. It's a way to force time into one's busy schedule for a hobby or two to develop and nurture. :) It would be great to get your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment